Colombian police statistics published in early July showed the number of cargo robberies (139) reported in the first six months of 2018 had declined by 6.7% from the same period last year.
The reduction follows an overall downward trend in such crimes from 2013, when authorities recorded 210 cargo robberies during the first half of the year. Approximately 60% of this year’s incidents occurred in rural areas, while the remaining 40% took place in urban districts. The most affected departments were Cundinamarca (22), which contains the capital Bogotá, and Valle (18), home to the country’s largest port at Buenaventura.
Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options at ihs.com/contact